Thursday 8 December 2011

A Pet IS Still Not Just For Christmas (The Evans Family Zoo Part 2)

I told you that there would be a part 2 of this post (for all 12 of my regular followers - seriously people, a little lovin' wouldn't go astray here).

Anyway, where was I?  Oh yes, that's right - Lucky lived up to her namesake (she was the injured chook which Charlie the Wonder Dog was using as a frisbee) and went to live with the neighbours.

We did get some more chooks - another three. As we got them from down the coast, the drive up Macquarie Pass (for those of you who don't know it just think of driving vertically with about 3.5 million bends) was a little hairy for them as they were rolling around in their boxes trying to stay on there two feet (do chickens have feet? Claws? I don't know!!!)


This is them getting out of the car!!


When I drove up to the chook shed and opened the boxes they were a little wobbly but we just chucked them in the chook run thingy and off they went. This time, we each got to name one.

Georgia chose Daisy ( I think she thought she was getting a cow), Sam chose Kit Kat (don't even ask) and after a long and seriously thoughtful process, I chose Honey....

Get it...

Honey Chicken

(insert laughter now)

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Well, all was well and good but one of them, unfortunately it was Daisy, carked it (Georgia, the world's biggest animal lover, just CANNOT keep a pet alive).  So as Daisy went to that chook pen in the sky (chicken pie anyone???), I duly raced all over the place trying to find another chook.

Success, as luck would have it The Co-Op had some for sale.

Now I love going into the Co Op because that is where all of us true farmers hang out.

We roll up in our utes, climb out and fingers in belt hoops amble in and check out what is happening. They line up at the counter to get 6.5 million kg bags of chook food, 3.978 million metres of fencing, oh, and , a 45 000 kilogram of working dog food.


Just a week's dog food for working dog's

I take my place in the line, normally ducking down at lunchtime in a work suit and stillettos I can't walk in and ask for the smallest bag of chook food ($8 - if only it was that cheap to feed the kids...now there's a thought) and ask for a 5 kilo bag of 'lounging around the yard' dog food.



Lounging Around The Yard Dog - Charlie


Anyway, I digress.  Took said chook home but unfortunately two days later ....dead!! As a doorpost (what is with that saying).


Couldn't find any pics of dead doorposts!!

NO ONE TOLD ME THAT THE OTHER TWO MURDEROUS CHOOKS WERE GOING TO KILL THE NEW ONE AND THAT I SHOULD SNEAK HER IN AFTER DARK WEARING A BULLET PROOF VEST AND ARMED (do chooks have arms??) WITH AN AK47 TO KEEP THE OTHERS AWAY FROM HER!!!!!!!!!!!!



So, we decided not to buy any more chooks, but just look after the two we had left.

Which we did until I got the phone call one day from Sam who told me that on of the chooks was dead in the chook pen, and he couldn't find her head.

Seriously.

(and I just couldn't put a pic of a headless chook here - that just wouldn't be nice....although it would be VERY VERY FUNNY!!)

After he assured me he hadn't ducked into the pub on the way home from school, he informed me there was just a body and no head, and that he was going to get CSI (Chook Scene Investigations) to come and take a closer look.






Upon arriving home, expecting this to be a somewhat cruel joke on his sister, I had to admit there was one dead headless chook.

Some of you may know I can be a LITTLE gullible at times but I have been told by some true blue fair dinkum country folk that the little tackers stick their head out through the wire fence and the fox comes along and just bites it off.

Isn't there some saying about a headless chook?????

Thus, the demise of Honey Chicken.


Anyone Hungry?????


Kit Kat did last a little longer and only recently passed on to that big Ingham Chook factory in the sky.

Now, about the rabbits......

Nah...



Think I'll just keep you in suspense till the third instalment of the The Evans Family Zoo!!!

Bet you can't wait for that...

Any hints/suggestions you can give us for keeping pets alive???

Cheers

Lisa

No comments :

Post a Comment